FC2 upgrade-X problem

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 2 03:42:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 02:55, Ralph Jones wrote:
> Nope, that's not it...I tried that and got "rhgb is installed and is the
> latest version." It was a lead I should have thought of, though, because a
> principal difference between booting into runlevels 3 and 5 is that in
> level 5 the X server has to start before the login. Thanks anyway...
>
> rj
>
> At 09:38 AM 8/1/2004, you wrote:
> >Ralph Jones wrote:
> >
> >>OK, I tried that, but no help...I still can't get X up except by running
> >>startx from runlevel 3.
> >>
> >>rj
> >
> >Just a wild guess since RHL8 did not have rhgb included. Try yum install
> >rhgb and see if this will pull in whatever programs were missing that
> >related to runlevel 5. Then you can add the redhat graphical bootloader to
> >your grub.conf entries also.
> >
> >I boot runlevel 3 as a preference. At least this works for you.
> >
> >Jim

Hello Ralph, I've come in a bit late on this so I don't really know what
your problem is. However, I did a RH8 to FC2 upgrade and had a not too
dissimilar problem with X. It wouldn't start at all. My problem was the
upgrade didn't create an xorg.conf file to replace the XFree86-4 config
file for X. Your starting runlevel is in the /etc/inittab file, the line
that reads: 'id:5:initdefault:'. Let's know what problem you  are having
and I will see if I can help you.

Kind regards, Graeme Nichols.
Air Force Inertia Axiom: Consistency is always easier to defend than
correctness.