Fail to start Gnome environment

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 04:03:11 UTC 2004

Hi all folks,

Further to my late posting listed at the bottom of
this posting as hereunder;

I'm in complete perplexity of Gnome desktop behaviour.

On GUI login Gnome-Session as USER, displaying KDE
theme and icons.  Right click on bottom menu bar
showed 'About Gnome'.    Selecting 'Help' it started
'Gnome 2.6 Desktop User Guide.

On teminal window
$ nautilus [ENTER]

It started 'Nautilus''.  On its top menu bar, Help ->
About

It started 'About Nautilus - Nautilus 2.6.0'

I think Gnome desktop has been started but its
appearance was KDE.  Why all Gnome applications got
lost?

An icon named 'Link to Old Desktop'  was dislplayed on
screen.  Opening it showed 3 icons inside

User Home
Start Here
Trash

Clicking 'Start Here' started Nautilus window.  Inside
it there were 3 icons

Application
Preference
System Settings

Inside 'Application' no Gnome applications found, only
KDE applications.

Clicking 'System Settings' started another Nautilus
window where displayed several icons.  'Add/Remove
Application' was amongst them.  Clicking 'Add/Remove
Applications' icon started 'Package Management'
window,(root password required).   Clicking 'Details'
on Gnome Desktop row showed most Gnome application
have been selected.

It is extremely funny.

Any comment/advice would be appreciated.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

Hi Andy,

FC2
(upgrade from RH8.0)

Tks for your advice.

> I had GNOME act strange after a fresh install.  I
> refreshed all of the
> gnome rpms and that got things working.  I would
> copy any rpm with the
> word gnome, bonobo, etc, etc, to your hard drive and
> force another
> upgrade.

Following Gnome packages are installed on FC2;

$ rpm -qa | grep gnome
libgnomeprint11-0.25-ximian.7 (no)
gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.9-0.ximian.5.1
gnome-python2-2.0.0-4.1
gnome-icon-theme-1.2.0-1-1.4.1.2.90-40.i386.rpm
gdk-pixbuf-gnome-0.22.0-5.0.1
gnome-vfs2-smb-2.6.0-8
libgnomeprint-1.116.0-10
gnome-session-2.6.0-4
pygnome-libglade-1.4.2-3 (no)
gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.5.1 (no)
libgnomeprint22-2.6.0-1
libgnomeprint15-0.37-9
gnome-print-devel-0.37-9
pygnome-devel-1.4.2-3
gnome-vfs2-2.6.0-8
gnome-python2-bonobo-2.0.0-4.1
gnome-python2-canvas-2.0.0-4.1
system-switch-mail-gnome-0.5.25-1
gnome-spell-1.0.5-4.1
openssh-askpass-gnome-3.6.1p2-34
gnome-panel-2.6.0-9
gnome-audio-1.4.0-7
libgail-gnome-1.0.2-3.1
gnome-terminal-2.6.0-2
gnome-python2-applet-2.0.0-4.1
licq-gnome-1.2.7-3
redhat-switch-printer-gnome-0.5.16-1 (no)
gnome-pilot-2.0.9-0.ximian.5.2 (no)
ethereal-gnome-0.10.5-0.2.2  (ethereal-gnome-0.10.3-2)
pygnome-1.4.2-3 (no)
gnome-mime-data-2.4.1-4
gnome-keyring-0.2.0-1
libgnomecanvas-2.6.0-1
gnome-desktop-2.6.0.1-1
gnomemeeting-1.0.2-2 (no)
gnome-user-docs-2.6.0.1-2
gnome-utils-2.6.0-2
gnome-vfs-extras-0.2.0-8.1
gnome-vfs-devel-1.0.5-18
gnome-print-0.37-9
gnome-libs-devel-1.4.1.2.90-40
gnome-applets-2.6.2.1-1
gnome-pilot-applet-2.0.9-0.ximian.5.2 (no)
gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-2.0.0-4.1
libgnomecups-0.1.6-7
gnome-games-2.6.0.1-2
libgnomeprintui22-2.6.0-1
up2date-gnome-4.3.19-1
gnome-system-monitor-2.6.0-3
gnome-vfs-1.0.5-18
libgnomeui-2.6.0-3
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-40
gnome-media-2.6.0-1
gnome-audio-extra-1.4.0-7
libgnomeprintui-1.116.0-6.1
libgnome-2.6.0-3

The above packages with (no) at their ends could not
be found on FC2 mirror sites.  I suppose they were
carried forwards from RH8.0, not necssary for FC2.
I'm prepared to erase all of them.

ethereal-gnome-0.10.5-0.2.2  (ethereal-gnome-0.10.3-2)

older version 'ethereal-gnome-0.10.3-2' found on FC2
mirror site.  I suppose the newer version resulted
from 'yum update'

Now I have all of them downloaded to
~/user/Download/FC2/Gnome_packages/

I'm prepared to run

# rpm -Fvh ~/user/Download/FC2/Gnome_packages/*.rpm

hoping to solve dependencies problem.

Any advice/comment would be appreciated.

TIA

B.R.
satimis