ODP: Re: OT: Anyone managed to install Gentoo Under VMware (in FC2)?

Piotr Gajewski gajos at plusnet.pl
Mon Aug 2 10:47:22 UTC 2004

----- Wiadomość oryginalna -----
Od:: Alexander Apprich <a.apprich at science-computing.de>
Data:: Piątek, 30 Lipiec 2004 12:21
Temat: Re: OT: Anyone managed to install Gentoo Under VMware (in FC2)?

> > I've looked a 2 websites that detailed how they did it but for some
> > reason, mine doesn't work. I've tried both SCSI and IDE virtual
> drives.
> >
> > Once booted into Gentoo, I do a fdisk, it will tell me that the
> disk is
> > not initialised and then I do a "w" and after that, I reboot,
> (nothing> else), then VMware will just hang there and do nothing else.
> >
> > I even tried installing it all the way to the end but it proved
> to be
> > pointless.

I installed Gentoo on VMWare under Windows, but that's no difference.
When you configure vmachine on scsi disks - when booting, read help. If
i remeber, you must use "doscsi" option. After this you should
have /dev/sda.
If you set disk for gentoo as standard IDE - you shouldn't have any
problem.
Take a look at vmachine configuration DURING setting it up. When you
have set up machine, you won't be able to make some changes.
--
Greetings,
gajos