usb enclosure - control timeout on ep0in, device not accepting address

rusecure at rogers.com rusecure at rogers.com
Mon Aug 2 14:49:06 UTC 2004

> I had the same thing with my USB hard drive enclosure on the laptop, and
> it ended up as a power issue (or lack of it). FWIW the laptop I have is
> a Dell L400.
>
> Try using a powered hub to see if that solves the problems.
>
> I had first borrowed my brother in-laws enclosure and just put it down
> to bad usb in 2.6 (this was with FC2 tests), and the 2.4 Kernel I had
> access to worked (but it wasn't the laptop and had a good PSU).
>
> When my enclosure is underpowered the drive constantly seeks just making
> lots of clicking noises.

Thanks. I thought that might be the problem. I was reading the USB specs
last night. USB ports only support 50MA to 500MA. Anything less that 50
and the device won't be recognized, anything more than 500 and the same
problem.

The 2.5" drive enclosure I'm using has a 60GB Toshiba laptop drive which
draws 700MA. There's my problem...

Weird thing is though, my dell laptop and home pc's don't have a problem
recognizing the drive.

Nelson