Is there anyway I could boot linux faster

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Aug 3 11:29:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 05:33, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > What ia ma trieing to do is trining to figure out a way to start gdm
> > before most of the services. Does anyone know how to do this. Or is it
> > possibnle at all that gdm starts before lets say kudzu and all the
> > other default things that load up.
>
> Possibly the best way (but not the easiest) is detailed on the IBM
> website
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html
>
> It isn't easy, but it does speed things up.

    Tell me you're not dual-booting a server, are ya?  Ick!

    :)

    About a year ago, probably more, there was a lot of motion towards
making a machine boot in several seconds. But unless you're a laptop
person with power problems, etc, why would you need to?

    The other night a friend of my daughter had a friend over. When it
got late, I was following an NIS curiosity when I got a shutdown notice.
I hadn't heard anything from my daughter, but I got out.  Turns out, the
friend figured she was going to bed, so she did a shutdown from GDM and
that turned off the power.

    I was shocked; she didn't know how to login, but she knew how to
shutdown.  The funny part was that she didn't live in a world where you
just let'em run...they get turned off every time they get up, in their
world.

    Guess I've been in Linux a really long time, now.

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller