Anybody using GnomeMeeting?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Aug 3 16:54:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:24, Tim Waugh wrote:

> GnomeMeeting is working for me in Fedora Core 2.  I don't get that
> message at all, so I'm afraid I'm not really sure what the problem is.

I just tried this:

     1. Start GnomeMeeting
     2. Open addressbook
     3. Click find all contacts

which returns:

      * You have to register to see other registered users
      * If you registered and see this message, it means that you are
        unreachable from the outside.
      * Don't forget to check the FAQ on http://www.gnomemeeting.org

Well reading over the FAQ I see that NAT and the firewall are the likely
culprits. (Although I think GnomeMeeting should have informed me that I
had failed to register at ils.seconix.com instead of letting me assume I
had.)

I was hoping to just quickly set this up and play around with it, but
fiddling with the firewall (never a pleasant task) and trying to figure
out how on earth NAT port forwarding would work (I have an ADSL router
which I think doesn't use NAT and connected to that a Wireless base
station which I think does) is just too much bother. What a shame.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com