portmap

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 16:23:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 11:10, Vano Beridze wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've got fedora core 2.
> What is portmap package for? I mean I can't uninstall it
>
> rpm -e portmap gives me
>
> error reading information on service portmap:  No such file or directory
> error %preun(portmap-4-0-59) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
>
> I'm just trying to make my system minimal and removing all packages I
> don't need.
> If it's an important package I won't remove it. Is it recommended to run
> portmap service at startup also?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Vano Beridze
> Software Developer
> Silk Road Group S.A.

Probably something you need to keep.

PORTMAP(8)               UNIX System Manager's Manual
PORTMAP(8)

NAME
     portmap - DARPA port to RPC program number mapper

SYNOPSIS
     portmap [-d] [-v]

DESCRIPTION
     Portmap is a server that converts RPC program numbers into DARPA protocol
     port numbers.  It must be running in order to make RPC calls.

     When an RPC server is started, it will tell portmap what port number it
     is listening to, and what RPC program numbers it is prepared to serve.
     When a client wishes to make an RPC call to a given program number, it
     will first contact portmap on the server machine to determine the port
     number where RPC packets should be sent.

     Portmap must be started before any RPC servers are invoked.

     Normally portmap forks and dissociates itself from the terminal like any
     other daemon.  Portmap then logs errors using syslog(3).

     Option available:

     -d      (debug) prevents portmap from running as a daemon, and causes er-
             rors and debugging information to be printed to the standard er-
             ror output.

     -v      (verbose) run portmap in verbose mode.

     This portmap version is protected by the tcp_wrapper library. You have to
     give the clients access to portmap if they should be allowed to use it.
     To allow connects from clients of the .bar.com domain you could use the
     following line in /etc/hosts.allow:

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>