Synaptics TouchPad in FC2

John Lagrue admin at moraystudio.com
Thu Aug 5 21:56:01 UTC 2004

Kurt A. Bartnik wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 12:01, Didier Casse wrote:
>

>>FC2 doesn't seem to detect very well my synaptics touchpad.
>>Anybody knows how to get FC2 to work with a standard touchpad.
>>

>A second option that will work if you only need basic touchpad support
>(i.e. you don't need the Synaptics-specific features) is to add the
>following as a boot argument:
>
>psmouse.proto=imps
>
>I added it to my grub.conf, so that the argument is passed at boot-time.

When I try this it renders the touchpad almost unuseable. The pointer
jumps all around the screen at random intervals and generates its own
'clicks', thus opening windows, rearranging desktops, logging off etc
whenever it seemingly feel like it.

>Works fine on my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, YMMV.
>
>Kurt

On my Acer TravelMate 225X it is a disaster. And on top of that, nothing
I try seems to make a mouse plugged ino the PS/2 port work. It goes all
over the screen even more erratically than the Touchpad does.

This system is dual boot, with XP Pro as well as FC 2. On XP, if I plug
in the mouse then the touchpad stops but the mouse works perfectly (it's
a Microsoft Intellimouse). I would be perfectly happy with the same
situation in FC 2, but for some reason it doesn't seem possible. At
least, I have not found any way to make it happen.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get this this work?

JDL