Using 2.4 Kernel instead of 2.6

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 22:35:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, jeem machine wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:21:25 +0100 (BST), M A Young
> <m.a.young at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Duraid Abbas wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed fedora core 2 release and I want to change the kernel
> > > to version 2.4. How do I do that? And will that cause any problems?
> >
> > Just find the latest FC1 kernel and install it (rpm -ivh --oldpackage).
> > The only thing that is at all difficult is getting the mouse to work as
> > 2.6 tends to use /dev/input/mice which doesn't work in 2.4.
> >
> >         Michael Young
> >

> I think FC! uses /dev/mouse but I am not sure

But /dev/mouse is usually a symbolic link to whatever the real mouse
device is. On FC2 machines this might be /dev/inputs/mice which doesn't
get you anywhere. You have to work out what device your mouse really is,
/dev/psmouse IIRC is common (standard ps/2 mouse) but it depends on your
hardware.

The FC1 update kernels are available from
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/
or your favourite Fedora mirror.

	Michael Young