Problem on Gnome Desktop and FORCE upgrade

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 02:14:12 UTC 2004

Hi Darren,

- snip -

> > # rpm -Uvh ~/Download/Red_carpet/*
> > /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file
> or
> > directory
>
> Well the above is your selinux error again. I'm
> sorry but I have no idea
> what is causing that.

Note with thanks.  I will try to browse Internet to
find out a solution to this respect.  It needs to
install selinux package IIRC in my last search.

- snip -

> > # rpm -qa | grep gnome | xargs rpm -V
> > /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file
> or
> > directory
> > Unsatisfied dependencies for
> pygnome-libglade-1.4.2-3:
> > pygnome = 1.4.2, pygtk-li bglade = 0.6.9
> > Unsatisfied dependencies for
> pygnome-devel-1.4.2-3:
> > pygtk-devel = 0.6.9, pygnome  = 1.4.2
> > S.5....T

/usr/share/redhat-switch-printer/switchprinter_gui.pyc
> > Unsatisfied dependencies for pygnome-1.4.2-3:
> pygtk =
> > 0.6.9
> > Unsatisfied dependencies for
> > gnome-pilot-applet-2.0.9-0.ximian.5.2: gnome-pilot
> =
> > 2.0.9-0.ximian.5.2
> >
> > Still have some dependencis in short
>
> I don't know what to say at this point. Red Carpet
> is normally superb at
> sorting these problems out. It seems that you did
> indeed manage to
> --force install some things you shouldn't have.
> Maybe your rpm databse
> is in such a mess that even Red Carpet doesn't know
> how to solve it.
> Using the --force option for rpm should only be done
> when you absolutely
> know what you are doing. I think that you may have
> to do a clean install
> to sort this out.

According to my recollection.  Before upgrade RH8.0 to
Fedora Core 2, I did try upgrade KDE to its latest
version with 'apt-get' without success.  A folk on
another list advised me to run

rpm -e --nodeps gtk2

Afterwards RH8.0 became unstable.  Then I tried to
solve the problem by upgrade it to FC2.

I will make a clean install after I finish testing
Globus Toolkit on this box which is for test only not
for production.

Anyway lot of thanks for your support and time spent.

B.R.
Stephen