Please help: Odd mouse problem with kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Aug 6 05:22:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, William W. Austin wrote:

> I have some mixed eide/scsi boxen which all repeatably and uniformly
> display the same odd symptom.  I use a ps/2 scroll mouse on all (5) of
> my systems which are pretty nearly identical (2 at work, 3 at home
> office), and since installing the 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 kernel the scroll
> wheel on the mouse is somewhat hosed.
>
> Immediately after a hard reboot, it works normally; however after 5-15
> minutes of 'normal' work (xterms, email, web browsing, etc.), the
> system stops recognizing the scroll wheel altogether, and it never
> "mysteriously starts recognizing" it again thereafter (well not for up
> to 18 hours so far, anyway).

The problem is probably that you are using a kvm and a ps/2 scroll mouse.

I have the same problem.  Switching between systems on the kvm will
totally bjork the mouse.

I saw a patch for this a couple of days ago.  I cannot test it until next
week however.  (My system got bjorked for a totally unrelated reason.)

The kernel option hack (psmouse.proto=imps) does not work for me. This
required a fix to the kernel if I remember correctly.