Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Aug 6 14:57:19 UTC 2004

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
[...]]
> In short, I think Mr. Swallow and others have it right. Now that we
> know, if you use FC in the workplace and know one or more screen savers
> would be inappropriate there, simply disable those screen savers. I'd
> also be sure to let others in the workplace know so they are able to do
> the same.
> ..OK - I'm going back to my corner. Flame away if you like.
> Cheers,
> Chris

No flames at all, Chris. It was a well-stated position that you wrote.

It is indeed easy to temporarily disable that particular screensaver --
but easy to put back into place by a user. Is there a way to disable it
for all users of multiple-user desktops (say in a school library or
computer lab)?

It's somewhat disappointing and embarassing to learn that such a Beavis
& Butthead level of middle-school locker room humor made it into a
distro that I've been touting to my institution and colleagues as a
professional and cost-effective alternative to their existing OS. And
I'm glad to learn of it now, than after a school official or parent or
student made the discovery first and raised the roof. I'm not
hand-wringing over this, but it pays to have a healthy-level of
anticipation to head off situations before they become real problems.

So the question that I have is this: Those of us in situations that this
particular screensaver could present issues need to be able to disable
it for all users. Is there a rpm -e like command that will get rid of
it, while still keeping the other screensavers?

Clint