hosting multiple sites on one machine

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Fri Aug 6 16:43:03 UTC 2004

> For SSL to work properly on a virtual host setting the VH needs to have
> a dedicated IP.  Thats been my experience.

Yah.. You can't use HTTP 1.1 virtual names.. You must have an IP address for
each one....

This is because, the SSL certificate exchange is done BEFORE you send any HTTP
requests..  And the way HTTP 1.1 virtual names work is like this

Say you host www.linux.com and www.microsoft.com on the same box, 192.168.1.1

You want the /index.html of linux.com

Your browser connects to 192.168.1.1

does (among other commands, but these are the pertinent ones)

GET / HTTP/1.1\r\n
Host: www.linux.com\r\n\r\n

The 'Host' tag lets the web server know you are going to www.linux.com and
requesting that site. Under HTTP 1.0, there is no Host tag, and you'd just get
the default.

With SSL.. since you have to verify certificate against hostname before even
making a request.. there is no way to use canonical names.