What dvd writers are Fedora compatible?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 7 09:24:02 UTC 2004

Roger wrote:
> I have an LG DVD writer, but havent been able to reliabily do data backups
>
> I have like 4GB data to backup daily and I make 1 single big tar that
> then convert to iso file
>
> Should I split the tar in smaller files ?

I think so: it's a real pain getting something out of the "end" of a tar
file, especially if it has been compressed.

> can anyone pls post the mkisofs and cdrecord command lines that you are
> using, or the script file you use for data backup for DVD ?

Well, I burn to CD-RW, but I've attached what I use. I gzip all my tar
files (for speed as well as size): this does mean that I have to have
a "staging area" to hold the .tar.gzs before they reach disk. That's
more practical for a CD-RW.

Alternatively, there are lots of pre-written backup programs to use.
I've heard cdtar, bacula and mondorescue mentioned. Any one else got
any preferences?

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | ... in our completely unscientific usability study,
westexe.demon.co.uk    | it took our subjects less than 10 seconds to locate