SATA question on nVidia chipset MB

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Sat Aug 7 20:09:25 UTC 2004

William W. Austin wrote:

> I have sevearal MB's using the Nvidia nForce2 ultar 400 chipset, with
> built-in raid and SATA.
>
> Several people have told me that the sata_nv driver does not work
> yet,  but I have also read (in email on another list) that someone has
> it  working successfully, leaving me confused.  (I need to replace 2
> drives  and if sata is working will go that route instead of ultra133
> ide).
>
> Does anyone have a definitive answer on this one yet?
>
> The motherboards in question are all Gigabyte GA-7nnxp.

Your mobo uses the sil 3112 SATA chipset, which has some support. I boot
with a standard IDE drive, and have a second drive on the SATA. It's
working fine, but I'm not getting full speed out of the drive yet (it's
a little slower than my IDE drive, but will speed up when SATA support
for the 3112 gets more mature).

I have not tried to boot from the SATA drive, so can't tell you about that.