Redundant network config files?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Sat Aug 7 21:32:52 UTC 2004

I'm trying to debug a problem with my wireless card, and I'm getting
really annoyed by the (apparently) redundant configuration files that
the network configuration tool (system-config-network) is creating.

My wireless card is eth1, and the tool is creating the following files:

     /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-eth1

     /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth1
     /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/keys-eth1

     /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
     /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/keys-eth1

All of the copies of ifcfg-eth1 are identical, as are all of the copies
of keys-eth1.

Can anyone tell me which files are actually used -- when I type 'ifup
eth1' for example -- and why the others exist?

Thanks!
Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net