My machine!!

Clifford Snow jcs at snowandsnow.us
Sun Aug 8 23:44:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 16:29, Robert Morrison wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> I am a long time fed up Windows user. I have run Linux on my computer
> before, but at that time I wasn't very computer savvy (not that I'm very
> computer savvy now either way) and didn't spend much time getting to learn
> it. My machine is a Compaq Presario 5190, and I purchased the Official
> Fedora Companion book, which came with the Fedora Core Publisher's Edition
> CD ROM. I got through most of the installation with no problem until after I
> set my root password I get a prompt that says "Your machine is not supported
> by this version of Fedora". Three years ago this computer was running Red
> Hat Linux 5.2... so what's the deal with it not bieng able to run Fedora? Is
> there any chance in hell that  I might be able to get this to run, or is
> there a version of Fedora out there that my computer will run? I don't want
> to run Window's 2000 on my computer anymore becuase I'm tired of suffering.

From the specs on a generic Compaq Presario 5190 it shows 128mb of
memory.  FC2 requires a bare minimum of 192mb to run graphics and a
400Mhz or better processor.  Check out the release notes for FC2, you
may be able to upgrade your machine to run Fedora.  The release notes
can be found at:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

Good luck,
--