HOWTO mount a usbfloppy?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Aug 9 18:20:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:52:07PM +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a hp omnibook xt 1000 - with no fixed floppy (btw. who still needs floppies today?). delivered with was a
> usb-floppy. How can i mount this? i didn't find an appropriate device...

First, not all USB floppies are USB compliant, and so some do not show
up under Linux. I have a YE Data USB floppy and it works find and
dandy under Linux (except for some problems with recent 2.6.x
kernels).

The first thing to do is see what others have reported bout your drive
at the Linux USB Working Devices List,
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/.

A floppy drive should show up as /dev/sdX, typically sda unless you
have other SCSI devices. I have the following line in my laptop's
/etc/fstab:

/dev/sda	/mnt/floppy	auto	noauto,owner	0 0

It shows up as sdX rather than sdXn because floppie diskettes are not
partitioned.

lsusb is your friend. Here is how my USB floppy shows up when I have
it plugged into a hub:

[root at issola root]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 057b:0000 Y-E Data, Inc. FlashBuster-U Floppy
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000