NIS/Automount under Fedora

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Mon Aug 9 19:49:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 08:47, Mark Farmer wrote:
> I don't like NIS as it uses plain text for passwords.

    Yeah, but anyone using it on the internet (anything but inside the
office, for example) would likely use telnet.  :>

    NFS version 4 seems to have an authentication mechanism built into
it, too- I don't understand it, and I don't know the ramifications, but
LDAP was never meant to authenticate.  Serious folks wanting to do that
use Kerobos...

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller