Yum slower than apt

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Aug 10 15:31:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:03, Jeff Allison wrote:
> Andrew Konosky wrote:
>
> > Red Carpet is an awesome GUI based package manager that works a lot
> > better than up2date, and it can use both yum and apt rpm repositories.
> > I used yum before, and I agree it was slow, especially if you had a
> > lot of repositories. Theres a GUI for yum called yumi, but I could
> > never get it to work. Red Carpet also has a command line interface if
> > you prefer doing things that way.
> >

> Only issue being that I don't think redcarpet works with FC2 if you want
> a gui for apt try synaptic.

There are indeed Red Carpet packages available for FC2. At the moment
they are being maintained by Vladimir Vukicevic but it seems that Ximian
hope to officially support FC2 with the next release of Red Carpet.
Please see this message to the list:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-July/msg03182.html

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com