FC2 using VIA (VT8233) card cannot play wave files

techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Aug 10 21:38:54 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I have a FC2 fresh installation. After the install, running
system-config-soundcard gave a good test sound, and it seemed to work. Then I
installed xmms-mp3 using yum. I dont remember if I tested the sound after that.

After switching to KDE, I found out that most application that uses sound,
except xmms, does not work. I thought this has something to do with artsd, so I
killed artsd, and even went back to Gnome. It didn't help.

So basically, here is what works and dont:
1. xmms works provided I chose ALSA on the output plugin
2. playing CD audio with something like kscd works
3.