[fedora] subject prefix

a.sulaiman azs at bom.gov.au
Wed Aug 11 02:46:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:15:39 +0100
James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > By the way, a query to list manager ( Warren? ). Most list
> > I subscribe to prefix [listname] to the subject line of
> > every post. Is there any chance of doing the same thing with
> > fedora-list and fedora-devel-list. It just make it a bit easier
> > to sort out crowded email inboxes.
>
> Most e-mail clients worth their salt can filter on other clues. This is
> especially true on Unix, unless you're looking right back to the
> command-line "mail" program (which these days is basically archaeology
> and something to script).

I  use procmail for filtering which can do most things, but there
are times when I combine some emails into  a single folder for
various reasons.

The main issue as I see is the right shift of the subject line
resulting in some information loss due to finite column width
of most email clients. This is somewhat offset by information
gain from the prefix itself.  In the end, it is probably a matter
of personal taste. As mentioned, many list do have them.

I will not pursue this any more to avoid the sort of flame wars
which are known to have been waged over  issues smaller than
this.

Cheers
-Asri Sulaiman