RAID how-to

Si Jones si at bananas.hopto.org
Wed Aug 11 21:24:30 UTC 2004

Jim Higson wrote:

>On Sunday 08 August 2004 17:57, Marc Williams wrote:

>>>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-i
>>>nstall-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html
>>>

>>That's pretty good.  Thanks for the link.  But I'm not sure it answers
>>all my questions e.g. what is the wisdom (or not) of RAIDing the /boot
>>partition?
>>

>Speed is not important, nor is the data likely to be very valuable, unles you
>have a special reason to do so, don't.
>

>>Same question for the swap partition?
>>

>Speed is important here, as is reliability to a point, since the computer is
>likely to crash if the swap partition goes down during normal running. After
>a reboot you won't be wanting to recover the data, so it depends how much you
>care if your computer crashes when a hdd blow up.
>
>Linux software RAID is a better bet than cheap "winRAID" controllers.

The swap should not be on a raid array, as the kernel can handle
multiple swaps on different drives.

If you put swap on a raid array you will more than likely find it will
not be used, as I found out.

I have now deleted the array for swap and made it 2 seperate swaps and
put them in fstab with both
having the same priority.

Regards,