What is smartd?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 12 09:01:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 10:52, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> Stephen C. Tweedie said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 04:35, zbert wrote:
> >> During my boot sequence, this daemon always fails. Can anybody clue me
> >> in as to what it is and how I might fix it?
> >
> > It's a monitor for IDE hard disks.  I've also seen it fail to start in
> > some cases, but only on systems that don't actually have any IDE hard
> > disks (CDroms don't count.)
>
> Stephen, is it only for IDE disks or does it work for SCSI too?
The latter, more precisely, for newer SCSI

>From man 8 smartd:

smartd  is  a  daemon  that  monitors the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
       Reporting Technology (SMART) system built into  many  ATA-3  and  later
       ATA, IDE and SCSI-3 hard drives.

> Sorry for butting in here, but is there any use in having smartd running
> one has a SCSI RAID system?
Of cause; smartd/SMART try to monitor hard-disk sanity, no matter if
using RAID or not.

Ralf