opening LAN / GAIM port through default FC1 Firewall

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Thu Aug 12 11:49:54 UTC 2004

Hello Everybody,

I have recently installed FC1 in my office computer opting Personal
Desktop installation and enabling firewall.

I cannot connect to yahoo in gaim though the proxy is correctly set
and my browsers are working.I keep receiving 'invalid proxy setting'
error message.

I cannot see my Windows neighborhood though my workgroup is correctly
set in swat(samba). I use linneigborhood/xsmbrowser as frontends to
samba and I believe all my settings are correct. But still, I cannot
see my local network as I used to with RH 7.3 with the same settings .

I am just wondering if this could be due to my firewall.How can I open
ports specific to gaim messenger and samba working (lan browsing)
safely without stopping firewall ?

Parameshwara Bhat