What is smartd?

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Thu Aug 12 15:56:16 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl wrote:

>>Mine fails as well. I don't have any IDE disks in my machine. I have 2
>>SATA drives and 1 IDE dvd-rom and 1 IDE dvd-ram drive. Would I be okay
>>disabling this service as well?
>>

>Bottom line is you do not need smartd. Having said that, if your devices support
>it, IMO you should run it. If properly setup (and enabled in the BIOS) it can
>give you warnings of impending disk failure. There are numerous links available
>via google that will explain this better than I can. Try googleing for smartd.

Actually, smart does not need to be enabled in BIOS. If it is enabled in
BIOS, the BIOS will check the smart status of the drive on boot up, and
if it finds a problem, it may disable or ignore the drive. smartd will
still work if smart is disabled in BIOS.

>Smartd will for sure monitor smart enabled SCSI disks. I do not know about
>SATA but since this is a new technology my guess would be that it will monitor
>them as well. IIRC, there was also a series of articles in Linux Journal a few
>months back on this.

If the drive is on a SATA controller that is using libata, smart will
not work (yet). If the drive is using IDE mode, and the drive is
supported, it should work.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#testinghelp