FC2 and Athlon64

Phil Dybvig fedora at ducksoup.afree.net
Thu Aug 12 18:44:19 UTC 2004

>From: "Michael E. Webster" <mwebster at intercosmos.com>
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com

>Not having any experience whatsoever with either 64-bit processor, my
>question is whether anyone has been able to get FC2 installed / working
>with these.  Oh yeah, and is it stable?

Micheal --

  I am running FC2 on two amd64 machines, one at work and one at home, and I am satisfied
with the results.  The machines have the ASUS SK8V motherboard and the AMD 64 fx-53
processor.  The SATA hard drives worked automatically (WD 740 10K Raptor).

  I had to do the usual sort of fiddling I expect with a development OS and brand-new
hardware.  The NVIDIA driver I needed was not available yet when I bought the machine
(although I could have made do with the included 2D driver which worked out of the box);
once installed it has has worked flawlessly now for about a month.  The network (built-in
gigabit ethernet) was not recognized immediately but was recognized and worked great once
I disabled a file mentioned in the release notes.  I like window maker rather than gnome
or kde, and it compiled up immediately.  The wonderful statistical language R compiled
immediately and thanks to the larger address space can perform large vector operations in
core blazingly fast.  As usual, multimedia is an issue, but the helix realplayer 10 is
good as is mozplugger.

  The processor is capable of running 32-bit programs but there are some software
limitations in FC2.  This is handy if you want to use a plug-in that has proprietary
source (or some source in 32-bit binary) and is only available in 32-bit format.  I use
the 32-bit firefox browser to be compatible with 32-bit plugins.  Some require a bit of
fiddling, the mozilla plug-ins page is a lot of help (but not always enough and there is
no mention of the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue).  The main reason 32-bit programs fail is
because of missing shared libraries.  Sometimes this can be fixed by installing the
32-bit version manually, which is just like installing legacy libraries for old programs.
 However, in other cases the 32-bit and 64-bit versions have shared files so they cannot
both be installed at once.  This is not usually a problem for libraries themselves
(32-bit versions in /etc/X11R6/lib and 64-bit versions in /etc/X11R6/lib) but some common
libraries have associated configuration files in /etc.  Unfortunately, a lot of these
conflicted shared libraries (e.g. libpixbuf.so) are commonly used in the X-windows
programs that are only available in 32-bit.  For my purposes this is not a problem (the
only capability I wanted that I could not get was display of recent Quicktime movies, not
a big deal for me).  Libtool is good about supporting the two architectures and is smart
about finding shared libraries; some small packages people have posted without the full
./configure - make - autoconf etc. system require fiddling or I could not get running.

  As I mentioned at the outset, I am overall very happy.  Once installed, the system has
not crashed.  I hope this helps.

-- Phil

PS You may want to have a look at the Fedora Core 2 for x86_64 Release FAQ at
http://www.linuxtx.org/amd64faq.html