Fedora kernels not detecting Compaq Smart Array

David Nedrow listbox at nedron.net
Fri Aug 13 04:29:33 UTC 2004

Mike,

I can get FC2 to install if I replace the default kernel in the install
image with one I've built myself.

I'm 95% sure now that the problem I'm having with booting the default
kernel (pre/post install) is that the driver for the embedded Smart
Array controller is never being loaded. In fact, if I boot the install
on ANY Compaq with a Smart Array (whether embedded or on-a-card), the
install fails to boot.

If I boot my custom kernel, I see the kernel detect the array and load
the cpqarray driver, but I don't see this happen with the kernel that
is shipped with Fedora (1, 2, 3T1).

-David