XFCE 4

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 14 20:49:43 UTC 2004

After reading this thread, I went and installed the xfce rpms with yum,
but it crashed as soon as I tried to log on. The error said there was an
installation problem, so I removed the rpms, downloaded, compiled, and
installed the CVS on my FC2 system and it works just fine for me. Only
took about 30 min to compile everything, but it was pretty boring since
you have to compile about 20 different packages. Only ran into one
problem when xfcalendar and xffm wouldn't finish the configure script
because it said I didn't have dbh-1.0, whatever that is. I checked, and
had the rpm installed, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled it again and
the xfce packages comiled with no problems.

I am am trying to set it up as an option in the graphical logon menu
right now, so I don't have to start it via command prompt everytime.

BTW, when logging in via the terminal rather than the graphical login,
what command specifies the desktop to use, since there is no "session"
menu? I have KDE as my default, but I am going to use XFCE when doing
remote desktop connections.