Process Management

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Aug 15 14:24:25 UTC 2004

Am So, den 15.08.2004 schrieb Sven Dzepina um 11:25:

> I have many users working on a web server.
> They executes  among other things many scripts like php, perl or
python...

> Some of them are strange, because they program a endless loop so they
> use more than 99 % of CPU -> That's pretty bad for the server ;-)

Common problem with those kind of "coders".

> For that time is the server unusable. I have always to login on Server
> via ssh and kill it.
>
> You understand that I am not able to watch my servers 24 h a day.
>
> Has Fedora Core 1 or Core 2 a function to manage that ? If a users of
> group is executing longer than 10 seconds, kill it with kill -9 or
> something like that.

One basic solution is to use settings in /etc/security/limits.conf, to
control and limit the usage of system resources.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 16:23:49 up 11 days, 9:51, load average: 0.69, 0.42, 0.30