VMWare & Core 2

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Tue Aug 17 03:39:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:17 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Well, For some obsure reason, a depth of 16 has better power management
> compared to 24 (according to some users of the cpufreq code)
>
> So, in essence, you have to make sure that your X's config and that of
> vmware's X is of the same default depth.

The guest video performance will be much better using fullscreen.  In a
window it seems to run faster if the depth matches.  16bpp seems to be
the best guest and host depth.  Also, if the host does not have a depth
and mode to match the guest OS then you can not use fullscreen.  The
host's video card drivers need to support direct access for fullscreen.
(e.g. NVidia cards seem to need the proprietary driver.)

For the original poster: system-config-display can be used to adjust the
default mode and depth.  Set the "Color Depth" to "Thousands of Colors"
on the settings tab.

Otherwise, FC2 works fine for me as a host and guest running VMWare
Workstation 4.5.2 build 8848.  I also have used another FC2 host running
VMWare GSX Server 3.1.0 without problems.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/