KDE Menu Editor (Strange Happenings)

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Tue Aug 17 18:10:41 UTC 2004

Hi, Y'All
    I recently installed FC2 on an old IBM Aptiva that I had hanging
around.  When I did so, my KDE menu contained an entry for
gnome-system-monitor (System Monitor) under "System Tools".  I was very
happy, because while I generally prefer KDE to gnome, I did like the
gnome-system-monitor tool.  However, one unhappy day the menu entry for
System Monitor disappeared.  Now, I can still start the monitor
manually, but being a point-and-click kind of guy I wanted my beloved
menu entry back again.  I went into the KDE Menu Editor and added a new
entry to the System Tools submenu, entered the application path and
other such goodies, and saved the menu.  After exiting the menu editor
no changes were evident.  "Aha", says I, "I have to reinit the KDE
desktop."  So I logged off and back on.  No change.  I rebooted.  No
change.  I'd be happy to edit a menu template file manually, if that's
what it takes (and if I knew where to find it).  Does anyone know how to
change the KDE application menus and make it stick?
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn