Help me find 5 mistakes and than solution to thoes mistakes!

Andrew Dietz andrew.dietz at library.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 17 20:52:10 UTC 2004

Ok, here's my biggest pet peeve:

The plural of CACTUS is CACTUSES, not CACTI, and the plural of
VIRUS is VIRUSES, not VIRII.

Makes me cringe every time I read/hear it...

Andrew

On Tue, August 17, 2004 2:55 pm, Thom Paine said:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 14:10, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>> My current three primary pet peeves:
>>
>> 1. "Me and John...".  Wrong!  "John and I...".  Correct.
>>
>> 2. The word is "separate", people.  There is no such word as
>> "seperate"
>> in the English language.
>>
>> 3. Plurals do NOT use an apostrophe unless it is a plural
>> possessive or
>> possessive of a subject that ends in "s".  Examples:
>>
>> 	"dogs" means multiple instances (correct plural)
>>
>> 	"dog's" means the object is owned by the dog (possessive)
>>
>> 	"dogs'" means many dogs own the object (plural possessive)
>>
>> 	"Rick Stevens' car" means my car (possessive of subject ending
>> 	in "s")
>>

> I just have to add one last thing.
>
> My grade ten english teacher taught me one thing that I'll never
> forget.
>
> Anytime someone said 'is when' he freaked out and corrected them
> that it
> should be 'occurs when'. I still remember this 19 years later. And
> still quote it when people say it to me.
>

> --

        This email was composed using the GTEL Webmail client.

to  which  it  is  addressed  and  may  contain  confidential  and/or
priviledged  material. Any  review, retransmission,  dissemination or
other  use  of, or  taking  of any  action  in  reliance  upon, this
information  by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited.

           Georgia Tech Library and Information Center
                  http://www.library.gatech.edu