Intel 440BX and 'e100' NIC

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Aug 18 15:04:35 UTC 2004

    I once had a new, powerful motherboard; 2xP2 at 300. I was hoping it
might boost the UT/Quake3 frames-per-second, but mostly I was wanting
out of a really crappy motherboard, and I'd always wanted to try an SMP
machine.  It was good; very good.  I used it for years.

    Replacing a thin-client, I put that machine to use again upstairs
for my for my daughter.  After many hours of install with a bad CDROM
drive, it finally booted, but it appears I'm installing a problematic
version of the kernel that has a bug particular to this MB.

    I see the "PAE and S3 don't get along, yet" message, and I've
Googled it...newer versions don't have the problem.

    But before I can work out _that_ issue, I have to figure out why the
built-in Intel Ethernet Pro ("e100", a.k.a. "eepro") isn't
initializing.  Worse yet, it won't rmmod.  And as if that's not enough,
a KERNEL PANIC in loading the non-necessary floppy driver is also at
work...but not stopping me completely.  (How's that work?)

    Is anyone using one of these motherboards, sucessfully?

    The board is probably not damaged...and it ran FC1 flawlessly.  But
I'm told that FC1->FC2 isn't an upgrade that can be sucessfully done.

    Any hints, guys?

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller