FC2 crashes

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 16:39:25 UTC 2004

Rosanna Sordo wrote:
> i'm running FC2. Yesterday, it crashed, saying that every file is
> read-only. ctrl+alt+canc didn't work, nor the power button.  Today, it
> happened again.
> Now, it is true, i was running a software built-up by myself (supermongo
> language, if it matters) but i used the same program under RH9-RH9-Debian,
> also under FC2 before the crash. In any case, the software doesn't "badly "
> use  CPU or memory. It's just some basic calculation, performed 100000
> times.
>
> I don't know where to start to fix the problem.
> Did somebody encountered similar problems.... and fix it?

Can you use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to take a look at the console? Are there any
messages there?

That sort of thing happens when the kernel isn't happy with the memory
structures describing the disk, or the state of the filesystem.

It sounds as though something's got corrupted. It could be hardware: run
smartctl -l error /dev/hda
(assuming your root partition is /dev/hda) to check to see if the disk
reports errors. Run
touch /forcefsck
and reboot to check the disk, and run memtest86 to check the memory
(that should really be allowed to run overnight).

The system isn't overclocked or too hot, is it?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Five miles as the hippopotamus bounces...
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |