Restoring passwd and shadow files

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 19 00:48:37 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 19.08.2004 schrieb Kevin Old um 2:37:

> I'm currently moving data from one machine to another and would like
> to move over all my users logins with ease.  I've never done it
> before, but I assume if I copy all of these files from my old server
> to my new one, all should work well.
>
> Here's what I *think* I should move:
>
> /etc/passwd
> /etc/passwd-
> /etc/gshadow
> /etc/gshadow-
> /etc/gshadow.lock

The lock file not.

> /etc/shadow
> /etc/shadow-

The - files are internal backup files.

> Is this correct?  I'm moving a RH9 box to another RH9 box and a FC1 to
> and FC2 box.  I figured it should be the same for each of the three
> versions.

Don't copy the whole files but just the user / group account
information. So I mean all accounts UID/GID 500 and above.

> Anyone actually done this and can offer help?

I did that when migrating a machine with a lot of user accounts from
RH7.2 to FC1.

> Kevin

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 02:42:44 up 14 days, 20:10, load average: 0.29, 0.25, 0.24