Can I downgrade X?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 19 03:07:22 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Xorg does not work properly on my Sony Picturebook C1VFK.
>XFree86 did work properly under FC-1.
>Is there any way of downgrading to the older version of XFree86?

If you are running FC2, I think that there might be some problems with
program conflicts between XFree86 and programs. I seem to remember
problems w/ programs needing xorg-x11 or there were dep problems with
XFree86. Either way, backporting did not seem feasable on early beta
testing toward FC2.

I did a google search on

Sony Picturebook C1VFK

and found quite a few postings from you regarding different versions, distros and cards. I guess that you have been trying to resolve the conflicts throughout RHL9 up to FCx.

If you want to downgrade X to an earlier version. It is possible using the --oldpackage option that the program rpm has. If you put the older X packages in a seperate directory ant then run the below commands, you should be able to downgrade to an earlier xorg-x11 version. I wouldn't think that xorg-x11 to XFree86 would work.

What video card does this Sony model use? Is the below correct?

Processor type 	Transmeta Crusoe TM5600

Processor speed 	667 MHz

RAM installed 	128 MB

Dimensions (WxDxH) 	24.8 x 15.2 x 2.7 cm

System weight 	1 kg

Travel weight (with AC adapter and external peripherals) 	1.25 kg

Display size 	8.95 in.

Graphics chipset 	ATi 3D Rage Mobility-M1

Jim