checksum iso is good but burned iso bad

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 12:18:50 UTC 2004

Jason Ifill wrote:
> hey all I am new to fedora, i have downloaded the iso's. When I
> check the mdsum for all the iso's after downloading them they are all
> fine,
Good.

> however, when I try to check them after I burn them I revieve a
> error that says "MD5 check sum are diferent." When I created the 1st
> disc that was fine, but its odd how the other discs do not work, when
> I tried to install fedora, I am able to use the 1st disc, but when I
> asked to use the 2nd cd i reieve a message that says "error, cannont mount."

How are you checking the CDs? Is this through Windows (I note you're
using Outlook Express), early in the Fedora install process, on a
Unix-like box somewhere, or some other way?

If you look at disks 2 and on in Windows, how many files are on them?
One or lots? (There should be lots, under Fedora\RPM).

Can you read the media successfully under Windows? If you have the disk
space, try copying all the contents off onto your hard disk (you can zap
them again immediately).

Are you using the same drive to burn the CDs and to install Fedora?

Is it possible that there's a problem with the media? Can you try again
with different discs, and burning at about 4x speed?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |    "Drink", said the Irish preacher, "is the curse
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | of the country. It makes ye quarrel with yer