***SOLUTION FOUND*** FC2 - Strange Ethernet Behavior

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 19 20:10:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, John Krische wrote:

> Howdy all.
>
> The solution was therefore to back off on the grub menu to 2.6.5, if for
> nothing else than to test. I tried exactly that on my dual-boot workstation.
> Viola, problem disappears.  Ethernet traffic & speeds operate at our normal
> line rates, both inside & outside the LAN.   Tried in on our other FC2 boxes,
> with equal success.  Problem solved.

You should include the proper FC kernel numbers. I guess kernel-2.6.5-1.358
works - but not the subsequent updates.

> When one yum updates the kernel package are all associated modules updated
> too, or are the modules left alone and thus still associated with the older
> kernel?

Each kernel version has its own modules (along with any changes to
those parts). When you boot to a specific kernel vesion - its own
version of modules are loaded. And you can have multiple versions of
the kernels (and their correspnding module files) installed
simultaneously. Check /lib/modules

> Now, had I followed Satish's recommendation to roll my own kernel...

I wasn't sugesting to rolling your own. Just install the testing kernel.
rpm -ivh ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/testing/2/i386/kernel-2.6.8-1.521.i686.rpm

I guess this would be the next kernel update to FC2. (if not too many
bugs are found in this version)

Satish