eth + dhcp weird behavior

Gabriel Mititica gabriel_mititica at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 19 20:47:03 UTC 2004

My eth0 on a FC2 is working when connecting through
dhcp to a server that assigns both static and has a
pre-defined range (x.x.x.150-x.x.x.200) of dynamic IP
addresses.

However, the address and the name assigned is the of
the dhcp server! (x.x.x.34, i.e., not within that
range)

Obviously, when trying to ssh to the server i'm
ssh-ing to my machine!

Here is my configuration:

cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
# Broadcom Corporation|BCM4401 100Base-T
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=y:y:y:y00:0B:DB:98:BB:21
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

I reckon that the server is listed in my /etc/hosts
and the /etc/resolf.conf is the one generated by
dhclient-script.

Question:

Is it a problem with my machine or the server is not
properly configured?

Regards and thank you in advance!
Gabriel