New package suggestion - gnome-ppp

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Fri Aug 20 12:00:22 UTC 2004

Miroslav Rajcic írta:
> Hi!
>
> I am not sure if this is the official place to make such suggestion, but
> here it goes:
>
> I would like to see gnome-ppp (http://www.gnome-ppp.org/) being added into
> one of next versions of Fedora Core release.
> Currently there is no default Gnome dialer in the distro
> (at least I am not aware of it).

I configured a friend's modem with system-config-network with FC2 and
put "Modem LEDs" onto his GNOME panel. It has a button to start and
stop the PPP interface. That should suffice and it even shows the
incoming and outgoing traffic.

The only thing you have to take care of is the naming,
either use "ppp0" in system-config-network as the provider name
or later configure the Modem LEDs so the commands it uses for starting
and stopping the interface are "/sbin/ifup <providername>" and
"/sbin/ifdown <providername>".

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi