no audio with Quicktime video streams

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 20 13:51:06 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Can anyone get any audio to accompany the streaming Quicktime video at
> http://www.apple.com/trailers? I have never been able to get either FC1
> or FC2 set up to properly play those video streams.
>
> I have installed mplayer* via yum.
>
> The video comes through just fine. There is no sound, however.
>
> I know that it *can* be done on a Linux machine, because I saw the
> trailers with audio playing just fine on my friend's Mandrake 10 box
> that had mplayer, mplayer-gui, and mplayerplugin installed with urpmi.
>
> Now there *are* some video files that play just fine with the audio in
> my Mozilla browser, for example:
>
> http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg
> http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/wincrash.html
>
> So I have the problem narrowed to those in-browser videos that are
> Quicktime streams.
>
> I want to learn how to get my Fedora machines to play them as well as
> the Mandrake machine could!
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

I just finished watching and hearing the trailers for Spiderdude II and
Collateral.  This machine is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ver 2 m/b with AMD
Athlon 2600+ running FC1.
[root at mavis rj]# uname -r
2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Mplayer crud is:
[root at mavis rj]# rpm -qa | grep mplay
mplayerplug-in-1.0-0.lvn.1.1
mplayer-skins-1.2-0.lvn.1.1
mplayer-mencoder-0.92-0.lvn.1.1
mplayer-fonts-1.0-0.lvn.1.1
mplayer-0.92-0.lvn.1.1
mplayer-gui-0.92-0.lvn.1.1

Obviously, these came from the livna repository and I'm thinking I
haven't updated them since installing last November.