Local Printing

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 16:26:13 UTC 2004

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Good luck.  It's funny how none of the other responses picked up on
> local terminal printing.  We still use it here because our student
> records system still runs on VMS, but in the old days that's just how
> it worked: you had a parallel printer hooked to your VT100 and the
> application sent codes to switch between screen output and printer
> output.  Does anyone still remember the old days?

Oh yes: I've got it in production here, using PuTTY across slow links.
The slow links mean I want something as lightweight as possible, the
fact that the remote ends are running on Win9x means I can't easily
use lpd, and the fact that they are remote means I want as little
complexity as possible at their end (so I don't want to set up Windows
file and print / Samba across that link).

It works.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "The pound slumped amid rumours that John Major was
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | about to resign. Teams of analysts are now trying