Intellimouse Explorer side buttons

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 20 21:44:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 17:28 -0400, Juan Martinez wrote:
> I have a fresh install of FC2 and I can't get the side buttons on my MS
> Intellimouse Explorer to be recognized.  I read the xorg docs and my
> configuration looks correct.  I used xev to watch the mouse and the side
> buttons don't generate any events.
>
> Other than the "Identifier" specificaton, does anyone have a different
> setup than the one below?

I also have an MS Explorer with the side buttons (mine is USB, I assume
yours is too). My InputDevice section of xorg.conf is the same as yours,
so that part you have correct.

Try loading the usb-uchi kernel module if it is not already loaded. This
can cause odd problems like the one you are having.

If you had to manually load the module, then edit your /etc/modprobe.
conf so that in the future, it gets done automatically at boot:

if your system is USB 1.X: alias usb-controller usb-uhci

if you have USB 2.0: alias usb-controller usb-ehci

If you have more than one controller, you can alias them 'usb-
controllerN' where N is {0, 1, 2...}. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit will then
automagically load your usb modules at boot time.

Next, add this line to /etc/Xmodmap:

pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5

This re-arranges the buttons so that 6 and 7 (the mouse wheel) are sent
to applications as buttons 4 and 5. That's cause most applications
expect buttons 4 and 5 to be the scroll wheel, not 6 and 7, but you told
X to use buttons 6 and 7 in xorg.conf (indeed, you have to if you want
the side buttons to work at all). With the Xmodmap change, the left and
right side buttons will now be buttons 6 and 7, respectively. You should
confirm this with xev (changing Xmodmap will probably require you to
restart your X server).

Note: I don't know if the Xmodmap change is still technically necessary,
but I've had this setup for over 2 years and it still works. Very handy
for FPS games :)

Hope that helps.