VVDQ : Replace Fedora after all?

Robert Crowther robertc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:46:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:26:32 -0400, Beartooth <beartooth at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:08:37 -0500, James Marcinek wrote:
> > You can get WhiteBox linux which is an open sourced version of RHEL 3.0.
> >
> > http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/
>
> Excuse me. I think not. I've been trying to read two of the whitebox lists
> on gmane -- and they seem much less user-friendly, or even
> user-comprehensible, than the Fedora lists. At least I understand *some*
> of what I see here.

You needn't be expecting to get too much end user support off the
WhiteBox lists, you can still follow the Redhat lists for that -
Whitebox is a recompile of the the RedHat Enterprise source RPMs, so
everything anyone says about RHEL will be true about WhiteBox (with
the exception of Up2Date/Yum, because the WhiteBox version is taken
from Fedora).  I've installed it on a number of machines and it
operates exactly like a RH distro.

Having said that, I think you'll be fine staying a version or two
behind the current Fedora release and getting your updates from Fedora
legacy when necessary, it just requires you to keep up with when
Fedora stops supporting a particular version and editing your yum
config at that time.

Hope that helps.

Rob