OT: Has anyone tried Yoper

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Aug 20 23:09:28 UTC 2004

billg wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:32:01 -0400, "David Cary Hart"
> <Fedora at TQMcube.com> said:
>
>>It "sounds" like a great idea. But, as I have learned the hard way,
>>ingenuity and execution can be miles apart.
>>--
>

> I tried the current release. No go. The first Linux distro I've tried in
> years that wouldn't even boot.
>
> I run an Nvidia card and it failed to detect and install Nvidia's
> driver, contrary to its PR.  It includes almost every packaging tool
> that exists, with no apparent effort made to keep them all in synch.
>
> Not that I'm all that happy with FC2.  I spent hours today installing
> and updating FC2 after deciding to spend sometime learning Mono. My
> impressions are the same as when I used FC1:  Great distribution,
> invisible documentation, up2date is still broken, and the mirrors vary
> from bog slow at best to unresponsive.

If you'd try using one of the yum mirrors rather than Red Hat's server,
you'd have MUCH better luck.  Since the RH server is the only one in the
initial yum.conf, it gets slammed and is too busy to respond to you.
Don't blame FC1 or FC2, blame Red Hat for not putting up more servers
and load-balancing them.  I doubt they will as they don't make any
money with FC.  I'm on the west coast and I use the web-ster and
kernel.org mirrors a lot.  Both are pretty quick.

I can install FC2 with EVERYTHING, replace the yum.conf with from a
floppy (one with all the mirrors on it, and with the Red Hat one
commented out), run "yum -y update" and be fully updated and running in
less than an hour.  I've done it at least 30 times with 30 different
machines.
-   "I was remembering the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
-   'I drank what?'"                 -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -