Kernel Problems: Not funny anymore

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sat Aug 21 00:24:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 16:54, alan wrote:

[Introduction message, snipped]

> Does it work if you go back to a previous kernel?  (They should still be
> on the list.)  If it does not work with that either, you may have a
> hardware problem.  Memtest86 is your friend at that point.

    Well, I've been running on this exact same hardware for several
years; RH7.3->FC2.  If it were a memory problem, I'm sure I'd have found
it long ago...and I would (in theory) see at least _something_ at boot
time.

    Is there any chance another, incompatible kernel was shipped as an
.i686?  Maybe something funky in the AMD-autodetect stuff?  I just have
no clue...and no error messages to go on.

    It's like the first instruction is a 'jump to zero' command (from
the Z-80 days).  Odd.

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller