SB Live! Audigy not working.

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 21 02:32:28 UTC 2004

Beej-in-GA wrote:
> Hi All,
> Here is what I did to get my Audigy Platinum working.  Looking for someone
> to show me how to automate this at boot up for all accounts.  The card had
> not been operable under kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2.  So I Updated via Up2date
> (Red Hat Network) to kernel 2.6.8-1.521.
>
> How I turned on Sound card. (SB Live! Audigy Platinum)
> BY
> B. J. Smith
>
> Using Kernel 2.6.8-1.521
>
> 1.First I opened Volume control in "Systray" and ensured that all listed
> settings were unlocked.
> 2. Then I opened a terminal window from the Fedora/System Tools menu and
> typed su at the prompt.
> 3.Entered "root" password at the prompt.
> 4. typed "alsamixer" at the prompt and un-muted the following.
> A. Tone
> B. Audigy Analog/digital Output Jack
> 5. Increased the following to Max Settings
> A. Audigy CD
> B. Audigy Capture
> C. Front
> D. CD
> E. Center
> F. Music
> G. Surround
> H. PCM Center
> I. PCM Surround
> J. PCM Front
> K. PCM LFE
> 6. It is unknown to me Whether it was necessary to set all of these to max
> or 100 per cent, but I did it.
> 7. Then I detected sound card and played the test sound and it worked.
> Can anyone tell me how set up something that will make this happen at boot
> up for all accounts which are at present only Root and my user account set
> up at installation.
> Any further comments would be gratefully welcome. Thanks.
> Later,
> B.J. Smith

I was surprised at item 4/B working for you as I need to mute this for
my Audigy to work. I assume your /etc/modprobe.conf has the following

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

(allowing for line wrapping)
this will setup Alsa every time you boot but its not perfect so after
adjusting your mixer issue :

# alsactl store

If the 'install' doesn't work issue:

# alsactl restore