CD-RW not recognized with new kernel

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 02:18:59 UTC 2004

--- Esteban Xandri <esteban.xandri at speedy.com.ar> wrote:

> After several failed attempts with xcdroast and K3b, I have tried
> running (as root) cdrecord (cdrecord -v -pad dev='/dev/hdd' -dao
> speed=8
> *.wav) and the system always freezes completely. It always happens
> when
> is about to finish recording the 3rd track. Also in this case, this
> problem started after I upgraded to kernel 2.6.8-1.521, so it seems
> that
> this update does not work with cdrecord. (I am running FC2 with all
> the
> packages updated)
> Does anybody else experience this problem with cdrecord and kernel
> 2.6.8-1.521?
> Thanks
> EFX

Hello;
  I made two coasters as mick, then two as root.
I thought maybe K3B was broken so checked the site:

Do not use Kernel 2.6.8

A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8
release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless
run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET
CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I
cannot see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot
detect CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR.
Until this issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to
kernel version 2.6.7.

Update: The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next
kernel release should work again. :)

Update 2: The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1

Mick

=====
Dogs have Masters - Siamese Cats have Staff!