Network configuration probelms (still)

Kellie Blackwell kb4fsu at cfl.rr.com
Sun Aug 22 20:02:52 UTC 2004

Ever since I upgraded my RH7.3 box to Fedora Core 2, I have not been able to use my network card. It seems something in my setup thinks I want IPv6 instead of IPv4. During the boot process, I get a message saying that eth0 is started but when I do an 'ifconfig -a ', all I have is a sit0 device and no eth0.

My ethernet card is a Netgear FA311 and the kernel release is 2.6.5-1.358

The entries in /var/log/messages seem to show everthing is OK as far as I know. Here are some of them

kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 16
kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 2
kernel: IP: routing cache has table of 4096 buckets, 32Kbytes
kernel: TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 65536)
kernel: Initializing IPsec netlink socket
kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 1
kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 17
sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
network: Setting network parameters: succeeded
kernel: natsemi dp8381x driver, version1.07+LK1.0.17, Sep 27, 2002
kernel:    originally by Donald Becker becker at skyld.com
kernel:    http://www.skyld.com/network/natsemi.html
kernel:    2.4.x kernel port by Jeff Garzik, Tjeerd Mulder
kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:08.0
kernel: eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0x1a858000 <hw addr>, IRQ 11
kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 11
kernel: Disable privacy extensions on device 022db720(lo)
kernel: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver.

The only thing that look at all suspect to me are the mention of the 2.4.x kernel driver and the IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver.
Does this mean that someting in the kernel is set to use only IPv6?

If I boot from the CD in rescue mode and answer Yes when asked if I want to start the network, eth0 is configured but when I boot normally I always get sit0. I have tried setting NETWORKING_IPV6=NO in /etc/sysconfig/network and even tried renaming all the IPV6 related files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve